LietuviškaiFrancaisРусский
S. Daukanto a. 3, LT 01122 Vilnius
Tel +370 5 2664154, Fax +370 5 2664145
 

Search

Search

Virtual Tour

 

The main facade of the Palace, view from Daukanto square

 

    Rumai

 

Visitors on guided tours enter the Palace through the entrance on the left risalita ledge. Built in the 19th century in the style of Neoclassicism, this two-story Palace, together with the administrative building on Universiteto Street, the park and the Conference Hall, forms a uniform enclosed architectural ensemble in the Old Town of Vilnius.

 


 

Flag and coat of arms

 

  

 

The flag and the coat of arms of the President of the Republic of Lithuania on the attic of the central risalite ledge of the Palace. The flag is hoisted when the President is in the Palace and in Vilnius.

 



Palace park and courtyard


   
   
   
   
 
Official receptions hosted by the President of the Republic of Lithuania on the occassion of the State Day - the Crowning Day of King Mindaugas are held in the courtyard and park of the Presidential Palace. A surviving fragment of Vilnius defence wall has been uncovered at the back part of the wall fencing in the park.


 

Ceremonial staircase

 

 

   
   
 
This red-carpeted staircase decorated with gilt handrails and window railings leads from the courtyard to the main halls, laid out in an enfilade, on the second floor of the Palace.


 

The Hall of Maps

 
 
 
This room features a neoclassical furniture set (early 20th c., mahogany veneer), with facsimiles of the maps of the Lithuanian State from the cartography collection of the Science Library of Vilnius University and the Allegoric Composition (by Frans van Mier (1689-1763), oil on canvas) on the walls.
 

 

 The Hall of Delegations

 

 

 

 

The room is used as a lounge by official delegations. It features a furniture set made of Karelian birch veneer using technologies of the old masters, with lithographs from The Vilnius Album compiled by Jonas Kazimieras Vilčinskis between 1848 and 1850: Grand Courtyard of Vilnius University. Vilnius. Suburb of Šnipiškės; Dining Hall in Verkiai Palace; Tombstone of Zygmant I and Sigismund August in the Krakow Cathedral.

 


 

The White Hall

 

    

   

 

The main hall of the Palace, used for presentation of letters of credence and awards and meetings of the public with the President. White furniture with gilt ornaments is the replica of the Palace furniture. The Liberty Statue (1922) in the central niche is a gypsum model of the original sculpture (by sculptor Juozas Zikaras, 1881-1944) displayed at the War Museum of Vytautas the Great in Kaunas.
 



The Negotiations Hall


   

 

 

The Negotiations Hall is used for meetings and negotiations of official delegations. The authentic caisson ceiling from the Bishops' Palace period is one of the most beautiful and ornate fragments of the present Palace architecture. The walls are decorated with maps of the Old Vilnius and drawings of architectural monuments of the past and their recosntructed versions, mirrored in the views opening up out of the windows of the room: Map of the City of Vilnius, Tower of the Gediminas Castle, Subačius City Gates and Town Hall, Reconstruction of the Lower Castle (1894 - 1923, paper, ink, watercolour).
 



The Blue Hall


   
 
 
 
Named after the colour of its walls, this hall is used for tête-á-tête meetings of the President. Its has two surviving authentic Swedish-style fireplaces from the early 19th century and features a copy of the furniture set which belonged to Jurgis Baltrušaitis, a Lithuanian poet and diplomat, and used to decorate the Lithuanian Embassy in Moscow during the inter-war period.
 

 
The Green Hall


   
   
   
 
The room features antiquarian mirrors (Empire style, early 19th c.); a glass vase made by the Imperial Glass Factory (2nd half of the 19th c., Russia); a clock featuring Apollo (gilt bronze, 1st half of the 19th c.); a pair of candelabra featuring figures of goddesses (guilt bronze, 1st half of the 19th c.).
 

 

The Waiting Room

 

     

 

This room features a furniture set (Russian Empire style, late 19th c., school of Saint Petersburg), a copy of the 19th century Palace furniture made on the basis of photographic material. The room is decorated with The Seascape (oil on canvas, late 19th c. - early 20th c.) and facsimiles of the lithographs from The Vilnius Album compiled by Jonas Kazimieras Vilčinskis.

 



Office of the President's Secretary


 

 

 

A fragment of the ornamental painted frieze of the Bishops' Palace was uncovered at the height of two metres on one of the walls in this room and after restoration is now displayed framed by a moulding.

 



The Meeting Hall


 

 

 

In this room the President holds meetings with advisors and receives members of the Seimas, the Government and representatives of a variety of non-governmental organisations. One of the walls is decorated with a tapestry Composition of the Coats of Arms depicting emblems of the President and major Lithuanian cities against the background of oak leaves (artists Anicetas, Žilvinas and Jūratė Jonutis, 1998). The room is also decorated with portraits of the Lithuanian Presidents: Antanas Smetona,1919-1920, 1926-1940 (artist Jonas Janulis, 1926), Kazys Grinius,1926 (artist K. Buivydas), Aleksandras Stulginskis, 1920-1926 (artist Petras Kalpokas, 1925), Algirdas Brazauskas, 1993-1998 (artist Saulius Čižikas, 1998), and Valdas Adamkus (artist Saulius Čižikas, 2004).
 



The Executive Office of the President


   

 

 

 

This is the office of the President where he works and receives small delegations. It is also used for TV broadcasts of the President's addresses and holiday greetings to the nation. Its walls are decorated with oak wood. Built-in closets and furniture sets are also made of oak. Behind the desk of the President are the national flag, the flag of the President and the state emblem of Lithuania. The desk faces the fireplace installed in the opposite wall. The office is decorated with the portrait of dr. Jonas Basanavičius, an outstanding Lithuanian political and cultural figure, painted by Antanas Žmuidzinavičius (1911). The portrait was earlier used to decorate the office of Lithuanian President Antanas Smetona in the Presidential Palace in the city of Kaunas during the inter-war period.

This painting of Vytautas the Great (copy, oil on canvas, unknown artist of the 17th century) is displayed above the fire place in the executive office of the President, with antiquities featured on its mantelpiece: a clock (guilt bronze, marble, the 2nd half of the 19th c.) and a pair of ancient Greek crater-shaped vases (guilt bronze, 1st quarter of the 19th c.).

Engagements

Search Engagements




Statistics

Total: 22955337

Today: 1118

Now: 423

@ 2008 Office of the President of the Republic of Lithuania. Please report any bugs or inaccuracies found. Solution: Fresh media